Pages

Tuesday 1 April 2014

Changes


I've been thinking about my blog quite a lot recently. I won't go into all the details, but the latest reason was our letting agents saying that they were coming round to get a valuation of our flat on behalf of our landlady (who lives abroad). Chances are she just needs this info for a 2nd morgage, or a loan or something, but it is also possible that she wants to sell, and my boyfriend and I will have to move. This is always an alarming situation, but it really made me take stock of a few things....
  1. We will have to pay more rent to find an equivalent flat, which sucks.
  2. I have WAY too much stuff. 
  3. Our choice of flats to move to would be drastically reduced because of the amount of wardrobe / storage space I need.
  4. I have no savings to cover another deposit.
  5. We would need to pay for proper removal men this time, because we have our own furniture and last time was a total nightmare!
Here is my problem; I thought this blog would be a good outlet for my clothing obsessions, but it's less of an outlet and more of an enabler! I spend TOO MUCH MONEY on silly materialistic things. Reading loads of other blogs and being on twitter makes it worse, because there is always something new, something exciting, something I want..... BUT DON'T NEED! There is no two ways about it, if I want to save any money, if I EVER want to have a chance to get a deposit together so we don't have to rent our whole lives, then I have got to control my spending. I have to take action on this, and in order to do so I need to change the way I think about this blog. I'm going to have to impose a spending cap for my monthly buying. I'm going to have to downsize my wardrobe a bit.... in a sensible way of course, I can't go too far because I'll just end up buying more! I'm still going to do my wardrobe weekly, and I'll review everything I buy, and I'll do wishlists ect, but I'll be doing it all on a budget, and I would like my readers to give me a good telling off if I go on a mad spending spree!

I think I'm going to blog about whatever takes my fancy, rather than just clothes, because there are many other things I love (food & cooking in particular) so I might put up some recipies and other food related stuff. I don't want to bore the pants of my lovely readers of course, and I'm not going to waffle on and on about my life but I dunno.... I just want to share stuff that excites me, and clothes have become too important recently. It's just time for a change, it's time for me to get my priorities right! 

This isn't an April fool, it's just the start of the new financial year, so it's the start of my budgeting! Here are my rules (just the stuff that effects the blog of course!)...

£100 per month to spend on clothes / shoes / accessories, including necessities like pants / socks makeup etc. It has to come from my current account (not credit card!) and I can either spend it little by little, or all in one go. The only loop hole I'm giving myself is that I can spend my paypal money on whatever I want - i.e I have to sell something if I want to buy something!

Doable? Hopefully! I've yet to review some of the stuff I ordered in March so that won't count towards my tally, but expect to see a big 'total price' at the bottom of all the posts featuring my April buys.

Wish me luck!



3 comments:

  1. Completely doable! and good luck with it, I would love to see recipes and food related stuff, I like food and clothes equally! I hope you don't have to move but having a budget can be a wonderful thing and can often lead to more creativity (this is what I tell myself!) x x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best of luck, As for diversifying the blog it only makes things more interesting :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck! I have felt the same thing about having a blog and reading blogs about fashion, that it makes me spend more. But I decided to try and save a little money for summer, so I decided to not buy anything during this spring (starting january 30:th), and I haven't broken that promise! I am very proud of myself. I love shopping, but sometimes not shopping is the sensible thing to do. You can do it! :)

    ReplyDelete